HW: Pseudo sun

Henrik Hallgren henrik.hallgren at SUNDSVALL.MAIL.TELIA.COM
Thu Jul 31 15:05:35 EDT 1997

Gretings!

I thought I should tell you about a new spacerock-CD from Sweden.
It´s Pseudo Sun with Juha Nurmenniemi (ex bass-player in drax)

It was released a few week s ago and I´ve been listening to it
many times and regard it as a very good spacerock-CD.

Review of Juha Nurmenniemi´s debut CD:

Pseudo sun - Future memoirs     PSCD 9701

A swedish band with Juha on bass, guitars, keyboards and vocals, Gunnar
Oberg on drums and a newly recruited guitar-player.
On the CD more people play, for instance the drummer and the guitarist
from darXtar.

Some of the tracks on this CD has been on a demo-tape before but is now
released together with some new tracks and was released a few weeks ago.

If you like early darXtar (the three first CD´s) or spacerock in general
this is a CD worth buying. Some of you may recognise Juha´s name from
the earlier CD´s by drax.

As I said above, this is spacerock with all the ingredients we like and
want. Heavy guitars, tasty keyboards and lyrics about the magic and
mysteries of space.

The CD opens with "The future rears it´s ugly head" and this is good old
drax with a slower pace  with a heavy rhytm-section (bass and drums),
sounds from outer space, and tasty guitars.
This is an instrumental track but I think we got the picture without
lyrics.

Next track is "Fulcrum of time" which starts with some synths followed
by a guitar playing heavy HW-riffs from the good old days. The
guitar-playing is really tasty and well done. I like this kind of
guitar-riffs which reminds me of "Brainstorm" and "Master of the
universe", classical and immortal HW-tracks.
This tracks contains vocals and the lyrics is about space (of course).

Track three is called "The time traveller" and is a slower song with
floating keyboards, nice vocals with interesting lyrics. The guitar is
playing once again in a tasty way which reminds me more of soft progrock
than spacerock but that is OK I think!
Isn´t this a trend nowadays that bands are crossing the territories and
mixing different styles? Listen to darxtar´s last CD "SJU" or Dark Sun´s
"Feed your mind" and you will understand!

"Middle of nothing" is a title which reminds me of remote areas
somewhere in the world and that is perhaps what this track is about. If
you´re living in Scandinavia you know what I´m talking about!
This track opens with a guitar playing somewhat funky!?! with swirling
synths and after a while we can hear space-vocals. A new way of playing
spacerock? Really tasty if you ask me!
"Secrets of infinity" is an acoustic track with a guitar playing lovely
tunes and once again it´s a track containing vocals. In the background
we can here sound from outerspace, O´boy do I like it!!!

Time for the last track called "Signs of life", the longest track,
almost 13 minutes.
Once again a heavy track with chainsaw-guitars and lyrics performed
brilliant.
This is my favourite-track on this CD although all tracks are great
without any weak spots. The reason why it´s my favourite is because it
combines heavy metal and spacerock in a way we doesn´t hear that often.
I think a CD should contains tracks that is spanning over the whole area
from acoustic/ambient to HM, maybe a way of doing it more intersting for
the listener?
Regarding this CD I think the next CD will sound different since Juha
wants to play other styles as well, although he will remain in the
spacerock-field.
I also hope that I can get a chance of seeing them live in the future,
what do you say about that Juha?

If you want to buy a copy please contact Juha at the following adress:
Juha Nurmenniemi
Biskop Jôns vâg 53
176 76 Jârfâlla
Sweden

"Hallucinations flash by my eyes. I see images of strange far away
places.
New chocking technology and civilations based on astral magic."

>From "Astral magic" by Dark Sun

Henrik Hallgren, Stapelvägen 5, 856 34 Sundsvall, Sweden

Email: henrik.hallgren at sundsvall.mail.telia.com  /
henrik.hallgren at ortv.sca.se

Fax +46 70 6101310  / Phone +46 60 173716