off: djam karet

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Thu Jul 31 20:29:24 EDT 1997

> Joseph Malcolm wrote:
> >Craig Shipley writes:
> >>obCDPlayer: Djam Karet / Reflections From The Firepool
> >
> >An excellent album. Have they done anything recently? Any other music
> >that is in a related vein?

New release is due soon. The original band is back together to make the
release. Hope it is better than COLLABORATOR...

> I like that name "Djam Karet"... what kind of music is it?!?! Where do I =
> get
> it?!? Why am I so drumk tonight?

"Djam Karet" means "flexable time" in some language (Indian, Farsi, Swahili?)
The band has been likened to King Crimson, although on RftF/p, there is a
definite Pink Floyd flavor. All instrumental, emphasis on guitars and keys.
The first one "RftF/p" is a must-have. The follow-up 2 CD set (but sold as
seperate releases), BURNING THE HARD CITY and SUSPENSION AND DISPLACEMENT
are like night and day; BtHC is a monster guitar workout and SaD is an
ambient droning dark nightmare. Again, must-haves. A release of the band in
its' early phase is THE RITUAL CONTINUES, a live set. Good tunes and well
worth owning. The only release that really dosent trip my trigger is
COLLABORATOR, which was an effort where various other artists contributed
a part and the band went from there. I probably haven't given it the chance
it should have..."Collaborators" includes Steve Roach, Loren Nerill, Walter
Holland, Kit Watkins (I think) and a bunch of other folks I can't remember.

The band releases the disks on their own label. Most any good prog source
should stock them or be able to get them (the standard places in the US can
help; don't know about you guys 'n gals across the Pond...)

As to why you are so drunk tonight, who knows? Is it payday, end of week or
(like me tomorrow) celebrating the departure of an unwanted and widely unloved
CEO? :-) :-) :-) Nice to know that when you get blitzed, you get behind the
keyboard instead of the wheel; we've already lost one of friends and thats'
one too many...

>                 -Daniel
>
> "Vad=E5 jultraditioner? Hos oss har vi nya traditioner varje =E5r" (CG)
>
> Daniel Wikdahl
> Kaptensgatan 2a
> S-39 236 KALMAR
> SWEDEN