OFF: e-mail clients

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Sun Jun 1 01:00:16 EDT 1997

On Sat, 31 May 1997, Ron Jennings wrote:

> curious, since MSIE is free, and seems to do what needs done, why use
> anything else?
> this is a real question and not sarcasm. i wonder what other benefits are
> out there with different browsers/readers. i have used netscape, eudora,
> and this (MSIE). no differences worth noting, as far
> as I could tell.

Well, a big disadvantage of MS Internet Mail (the e-mail client portion of
MSIE 3) as far as I'm concerned is that it runs only under Windows 95 and
Windows NT.  It's not much use on the DEC OSF, Sun Solaris, IBM AIX,
and PC Linux systems I use most of the time.  (All are unix systems; all
cannot run MSIE etc.)  Also (and this is probably only a problem local
to me:) is that my home PC is so ancient by today's standards (a donated
386SX-16 w/ 5MB of RAM and 40MB hard disc) it doesn't have the resources
necessary to run Windows 95 and MSIE, and so I don't have the option of
running them (even if I had the inclination).  However, the PC runs Linux
fine and dandy, and so I can use Pine for e-mail (which has better
functionality than MS Internet Mail anyway, albeit without all that eye
candy).  But then again, this is from someone who uses Lynx as their main
WWW browser. :-)

To answer your other question, your e-mail messages do not include the
extra attachment.

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Sundial, _Acid Yantra_

PS: I do actually like MS Internet Mail, and use it as my preferred e-mail
client when using Windows 95.  It does have some annoying omissions, but
then again, all the MS Windows e-mail clients seem to.

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.