Mailers

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Sun Jun 1 09:45:39 EDT 1997

Ron sez...

> Have you noticed that my post as of late are a little more BOC-L
friendly? I have disabled
> the MIME function for ALL of my mail. And did I get a word of thanks?
Noooooo.....

um thanks. i would have thanked you sooner, but since i use MSIE to read my
mail, it never posed
a problem for me.

curious, since MSIE is free, and seems to do what needs done, why use
anything else?
this is a real question and not sarcasm. i wonder what other benefits are
out there with different browsers/readers. i have used netscape, eudora,
and this (MSIE). no differences worth noting, as far
as I could tell.
Rj

Well, I post from my company-supplied laptop. Limited disk space and no real
way of cheap, large expansion (I am well accustomed to Jaz/Zip and Bernoulli
disk drives; got 'em on all of the home PC's). My company, which until we were bought out,
was strictly a UNIX shop (although there were tons of Macs around) and we used
our own systems to ship mail around from (I still do, on the occasion that I work from
my office. Look for the ASCII "pyramid", that's when I'm in the shop...). New  regime says
"WE WILL USE PC'S TO COMMUNICATE, WITH W95 AND YOU WILL USE Z-MAIL TO
SEND YOUR MAIL WITH!!!!". I guess I still have a bit of the UNIX-rebel in me; I shit-canned
Z-mail ASAP. 'cuz MS Messaging gave me all the functionality that Z-mail does, but without
being an add-on and chewing up hunks of disk space that Messaging is already allocated
(same reason I use the Microsoft browser instead of the company mandated Netscape. I should
add that we have business deals with both NCD and Netscape...). I guess my point is, if the
programs that come FREE with W95 do what you want them to do, why use a third party add-on?
(Unless you got tons of disk space and money to burn).

Craig