BOC: Summerdaze CD

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Thu Jun 5 13:21:22 EDT 1997

>>one new track?  Guess I'm not a "true fan" :)

>Personally, I like the new tune (Power Underneath Despair) a lot.  It's
>fairly heavy, has an interesting use of an odd meter during the chorus
>(it would have been easy to have kept the meter even, but a nice sense
>of "urgency" is created by using it), and while many of us have complained
>about John Shirley's lyrics in the past (Bad Channels tunes, See You in
>Black), these seem to have a bit more content to them.  Will this song
>be a hit?  Well, it doesn't sound anything like what's being played on
>the radio these days (which in itself is a good thing, since a lot of
>what is popular on the radio these days sucks), so I doubt it.  But, for
>anyone who wants to know if BOC can still rock, this song proves it.

I agree on this.  If this is what they are capable of, I think they could've
put more new stuff on the album.

Ironically, I saw posts on alt.music.blueoystercult criticizing the wisdom
of putting this track being put on the CD, saying they should have used
only tunes where Buck sings if Eric can't sing them on the tour...

Roger Shrubstaff                   ==   To dwell within Samsara, however
Barony of Silverwater                =   is to be subject to the works of those
http://www.magg.net/~mordru/silver.htm=   who are mighty among dreamers.
(Andrew A. Apold)                   ==    - Mahasamatman