HW: Blackheath

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Mon Jun 9 10:33:52 EDT 1997

langner timothy writes:

> Hi
>
> Can someone tell me how long hawkwind played for? Did any of the songs ramble
> on in ture hawkwind style ie brainstorm, may be love in space.

They played for pretty close to exactly 100 mins (mind you I think I
remember everyone disappearing from the stage during the middle bit of
Space is Their Palestine so I don't know if that counts!).    There was
no rambling although the new Reptile song was a touch uncertain.   But
once that tightens up it will be fine.    The feel of that track was
probably closest to the Hawklords period - from first impressions.   The
rest was fast and tight - especially Brainstorm!

What an excellent venue!    Good size crowd too - I think it may have
caught the organisers by surprise since all the draft lager ran out and
they were reduced to bottled Heineken by the end!

Nice environment - hope they go back there some time.  Sorry about the
pubname folks - it's the kind of thing that happens when Hawkwind are
around, everything transmutes into something else!

Huw joined them on stage for the last two numbers - you could hear him
in Ejection but he got lost along with everyone else in Needle Gun - but
what a terrific conclusion - they should always end on a powerful track
that that.   No "Welcome" this time tho'.  But it didn't matter!    And
no Silver Machine despite it being exactly 25 years this month since it
was first released

        [Happy Birthday to you....]

I sorta wondered if they were planning to come back on stage again but
ran out of time.   Not sure.

> Also which was better: LiS album or Black heath? (I get the impression may be
> black heath but wouldn't surpirse me since hawkwind play their best when it
> doesn't end up as a live album eg. a lot of boots sound better than live
> albums!)

At this moment in time - Blackheath.   There were probably too many
electronic problems for it to be issued on an album without cleaning up
but as a composite with some other gigs as a live tour album or somesuch
it would be terrific!

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk