HW: Blackheath

Mark Edmonds mmje at MMJE.DEMON.CO.UK
Tue Jun 10 04:48:43 EDT 1997

In article <IqAdSCAhADnzEw$u at comics.demon.co.uk>, Jon Browne
<jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK> writes
>In article <x6SxwDAURBnzEw5H at mmje.demon.co.uk>, Mark Edmonds
><mmje at MMJE.DEMON.CO.UK> writes
>>You know, I never really rated Alan and
>>to be honest, always thought he was a bad influence in the group.
>
>What?!!
>WHAT????????
>ARRRARGAH%^%&*(*&*&%$%$£"!"£*&)(_
>

>Pah!
>--
>Jon Browne

Ha! I thought that would rumple a few feathers! Maybe I should expand on
my comments:

Sure, there have been some great Davey influenced moments which wouldn`t
have been there if he wasn`t in the group but strictly in my opinion,
these moments were out-weighed by his slightly crude sub-Lemmy clone
style playing and singing. Lemmy is brilliant - he is one of the all
time greats of rock and his style is _his_ style - if you accidentally
stray too close to his style then you end up sounding bad. Whether
intentionally or not, Alan got close to being a Lemmy clone and when he
started nicking the vocal duties from Dave my patience started to wear
thin. This is because Alan cannot sing! Dave has a fantastic clear voice
and he sounds effortless - his voice is after all part of the HW sound.
Now listen to Alan trying to sing The Right Stuff (for example) and its
painful!

Alan undoubtedly did contribute energy to the group at a time when they
needed it (after HLL left) but he brought in a new aspect of the sound
which to me always sounded lumpy. I know a lot of you will disagree with
my comments so if you want to slag me off, go ahead! I am not sitting
here idly criticising for the sake of it, I am simply talking about the
band which has had such an overwhelming influence on my life that it is
part of my blood stream.

Anyway, that's enough.

Mark Edmonds