HW: Blackheath

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Wed Jun 11 13:11:00 EDT 1997

On 11 Jun 12:14, Mark Edmonds wrote:
> >I like Live Chronicles (at least on album; I didn't see the show), but I
> >still think COTBS is a very poor album.
>
> God, if you think this was a very poor album, how the hell do you rate
> IITBOTFTBD or The White Zone or Space Bandits or LiS (which I'm not
> particulaly won over to yet although I like the video for some reason).

LiS is brilliant (at least after the first few tracks).  Blue Skin is
a really kicking track, Alien I Am, Sputnik Stan, Robot and Love In Space
are all really good, Vega and Elfin are good spacey instrumentals,
I like the way all the layers then peel away for a really raw Silver
Machine, and the version of Assassins that begins with the quiet of
Space Is Their and builds up to a climax is also good.

Space Bandits starts off really well, but then palls.  Images rocks -- and
the violin solo is terrific!  Black Elk Speaks is a good mood piece.  I like
the live versions of Out Of The Shadows and TV Suicide much more than the
studio ones.  Ship Of Dreams is an OK instrumental but without anything decent
around it, it doesn't do much for me.

IITBOTFTBD is a pretty good set of instrumentals, although a couple of
them go on too long.  Tibet Is Not China and Wave Upon Wave are excellent.
The songs provide a good bit of variety.

I don't like The White Zone as much, but I play it now and again when I
want some unintrusive background music.  Then again, I don't consider it
to be a Hawkwind album as such.

Dave.
--
Harlequin Ltd., Technology Transfer Centre, King's Buildings,
Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JL, UK.