HW: Blackheath

John Majka flossbac at WCIC.ORG
Wed Jun 11 17:41:17 EDT 1997

>     I always felt the RCA albums were rather dodgy.
>
>> This wasn't helped
>> with releases like Zones or This is Hawkwind - not that they are bad
>> albums but they didn't seem to have much new creativity in them (most of
>> it was recycled of course).

I'm amazed to hear someone say such things!  "This is Hawkwind" gives me
faith in the band's ability!  It's a really solid live album with some of
the best playing that has been committed to record!  I really like that one
a lot!  Even Zones is pretty cool, but I know what you mean about the
recycled tracks, which is certainly a disturbing trend.

>> I was beginning to get disenchanted and things
>> only got worse with Palace Springs!
>
>     Blasphemy!! :)
>     Palace Springs is one of my top HW albums, along with Doremi, Space
>Ritual, and HotMG!  "Acid Test" is, admittedly *really* awful.  The rest of
>it I like.  The "Assault & Battery/Golden Void" on it is one of my top HW
>tracks!

yeah, I have to agree that Palace Springs is one of the best-ever albums.
Acid Test is great, along with the rest.  I was hugely impressed when this
record came out because it convinced me that Hawkwind were not going down
the tubes, but continuing to release really good stuff.
John Majka
flossbac at wcic.org