HW: Blackheath

M Holmes fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Thu Jun 12 15:05:24 EDT 1997

Ron Jennings writes:

> the sequencers and such were Brock's baby.
> alan mentioned to me once how stifling it was that their set list was
> unchangeable,
> because it would mean dave would have to reprogram his machines.

Yeah, a big part of the fun of Hawkwind gigs was that the band would get
into the feedback from the audience and produce some awesome jams in
response. The machines simply meant that this was ruled out and that you
were guaranteed almost exactly the same sound at every gig on a tour.
They seem to forget that we listen to albums to get the same guaranteed
sound and go to tours to have some fun.

It's a classic example of a bad implementation of computerised
equipment. The idea should be that the machines allow more freedom
rather than more constraint.

FoFP