HW: Black Sword (Forward)

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Thu Jun 12 17:36:56 EDT 1997

langner timothy writes:

> Carl said:
> >    At Blackheath, I think Huw was again somewhat surprised to find
> >"Moonglum" so popular.  The audience more or less demanded it during his
> >acoustic set.  To his credit he did play it, despite apologies that he
> >wasn't sure how it would work out on an acoustic guitar.
>
> Did it work?

It was the best track he did and a very fine (IMO) piece of acoustic
guitar playing - it can't have been easy trying to reproduce the sound
but he gave a very creditable performance.    My one main complaint with
HLL is that he tends to hurry the timing of his vocals - as if to get
the words over and done with so that he can get down to the guitar
playing bit.    But I thought it a brave and accomplished performance
given that there was a hall full of folk waiting to hear Hawkwind and
here's Huw doing an acoustic set!   He really caught people's interest
too since there was a steady drift of folk up towards the stage to
listen tho' I agree it was a good competent performance rather than an
outstanding one.

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk