HW: Levitation - couple of questions

Mark Edmonds mmje at MMJE.DEMON.CO.UK
Thu Jun 12 09:25:42 EDT 1997

If I remember rightly, written somewhere on the Levitation cover is "A
headphone album". It certainly sounds great on headphones and some bits
like in Psychosis seem to have real 3D movement. Does anyone know
whether this album was mixed using some 3D system or what the headphone
album text refers to?

Is it also correct that this album was a full digital recording? In
which case, wouldn't it have been one of the first digital rock albums?
Other than Levitation, the first reference I ever saw to digital
recording was Frank Zappa's "Them or Us" in 1984 so Levitation is quite
a lot earlier. Does anyone know any other early examples of digital
recording in the rock world?

Thanks!

Mark