Palace Springs (Forward)

Jon Jarrett jaj20 at HERMES.CAM.AC.UK
Thu Jun 12 21:58:02 EDT 1997

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, langner timothy wrote:

> Jazza said:
> >        Yes to Golden Void - but the Sonic Assassins version kicks the
> >Palace Springs in to a very small bucket. As for Damnation Alley, if
> >you're suggesting that Alan's rendition beats the Calvert original, you
> >and I may have to step outside...
>
> If you are refering to calverts vocals then Alan has the better vocals for
> dmnation. However the better song over all is the one for the calvert erra.
> It's longer, has voiline solo and includes more verses and words. But Alan has
> the btter voacls for this song at least.

        I just *don't* agree here. The bit where Alan shadows the keyboard
break of the studio version with the bass is nice, but his vocal range
just isn't as wide as Bob's was, and it strains at the top and is weak at
the bottom. Plus which, Bob's voice was far more expressive. No way could
Alan ever do anything matching `High Rise' for turning poetry into lyrics.
        Of course, I am a massive Calvert fan, but I think this is a fair
criticism... Yours,
                    Jazza

P.S. Maybe Ron will do Damnation Alley soon. That would be interesting...

 |         Jon Jarrett, Pembroke College, Cambridge                     |
 |         (01223 327450)                 jaj20 at hermes.cam.ac.uk        |
 |"Find the microwave and you shall find the bison!" Clare Boothby(1997)|