Off GWAR & Kids/Motorhead & Wasp

Fri Jun 13 10:19:12 EDT 1997

> > I would disagree with you somewhat, depending on the age, maturity
> > and general intelligence of a child you have to be somewhat concerned
> > with they  expose themselves to.

     I think kids are brighter than one thinks, though they (we? :) are
impressionable and are happy to try nearly any kind of weird shit just for
the hell of it.

     I mean, sure--dressing up like a freaking and dancing around with a
bunch of impaled angels looks like a lark, right?  But I think most kids,
unless they are terminally dumb, would understand no problem if you said
"this is a big act, right?  like a play.  people just think this looks
cool, so you can make a lot of money doing it".

     Well, I've been a kid but obviously I ain't got any and only deal with
them occasionally.  But I get the feeling that if you are straight with
kids all the way they will understand most things.  I don't want to shelter
any kids I have since I think that will, in the end, confuse them worse
than ever (and take something away from someone and they want it instantly,
right?).
     I mean, I wouldn't take them to see Marilyn Manson but merely since I
think they're load of bollocks :)

> > When your young you eventually reach a point
> > where you can separate image from substance; when you know this is a
> > bands marketing tool but not necessarily who or what they are.

     And that point comes earlier if you don't have to figure it out all on
your own, perhaps.

> > Seriously, we have adults ready to
> > hitchike on comets because some loon convinced them a spaceship was
> > hidden in its tail.  If adults, with education and life experiences
> > can stretch out so far don't you think we have to be concerned with
> > young people?

     One suspects strongly that these people's parents weren't up to the
task.

> hey i agree with this p'graph whole heartedly. but you must find a .
> medium there
> are tons of parents who think it's everyone else's job to raise their
> kids for them,
> and tons more who are so overly protective that their kids grow up to be
> nice calm artichokes.
> by all means give the kids some credit.

     And obviously both those kinds of parents are pretty useless.

     If I had kids, I'd take 'em to see Motorhead in an instant (if they
wanted to go :)

Cheers,
Carl