Palace Springs (Forward)

langner timothy 96163497 at BROOKES.AC.UK
Fri Jun 13 10:40:36 EDT 1997

Jazza said:
>        I just *don't* agree here. The bit where Alan shadows the keyboard
>break of the studio version with the bass is nice,

I never thought about how good the bass was in it since I'm not a bass player.

>but his vocal range just isn't as wide as Bob's was, and it strains at the
>top and is weak at the bottom. Plus which, Bob's voice was far more
>expressive. No way could Alan ever do anything matching `High Rise' for
>turning poetry into lyrics.

I was only refering to Damnation Ally. I doubt Alan coudl cover some of the
other ovcals Bob did btu for this song he did it better.

>        Of course, I am a massive Calvert fan, but I think this is a fair
>criticism...

I'm a huge fan of him too but then I a huge fan of almsot any body who's play
in Hawkwind (as long as they are playing simlar stuff to Hawkwind or stuff I'd
like).

Speaking of high rise. Every time I study urbanisation (geography) I always
think of that song. And if I ever get the chance to do a presentation on 1960s
urbnaisation I'll make sure it get's played at start. However I'd then have to
choose which version to play! And that's not easy.

PS I think it's shame hawkwind don't do what they did in 1972 BBC concert
windsong. In brainstorm I the chourse was being sung by nik with the backing
inbetween and over nik was another voice singing. Was it Bob? And it sounded
really good. Also did it in seven by seven and born to go. I think hakwwind
should od sometihng like that again. Ron oculd do the voice over the top of
the main vocalist.