HW: Black Sword

Ian R Fines ianfines at JUNO.COM
Thu Jun 12 17:16:35 EDT 1997

Jeff---
        I, like you, was 15 when I first heard the mighty Hawks.  I am
now an aged 18 years old.  Consider yourself unique, in a good way, that
your musical tastes have develop at such an early age.  Unlike you, my
dad, nor any of my friends had ever even heard of Hawkwind.  Instead, I
first heard HW after buying a used copy of _Hall of the Mountain Grill_
at a local record store.  I bought it because Lemmy was listed as the
bassist on the back of the CD.  At first hearing, my friends and I were
amazed at how good the CD was, and how unlike Lemmy it was.  I even
compared this disc to the Moody Blues (why?  I thought songs like D-Rider
sounded like them...).  To put it bluntly, I was instantly hooked.  The
next cd I bought was _Levitation_, which I did not like at all, and sold
the next day.  I now really like Levitation, so this is an example of how
your tastes, as far as Hawkwind, will change.  I also bought _Live
Chronicles_ that day, and pretty much enjoyed it from the get-go.  Yet,
at this point, I was thoroughly confused as to what Hawkwind was all
about.  I mean, HOTMG didn't even sound remotely like _LC_.  So, I
figured I obviously had to delve deeper into my pockets and buy more HW
albums.  After much research on the band, and about 30 albums worth of
material (not counting friends and relations...), I think I've finally
come to a conclusion:  Hawkwind are the masters of the barely explored
musical territory called SPACEROCK.   I've also concluded that the Hawks
are one of my all-time favorite bands, along with Gong and Amon Duul 2.
        Since you ask, my 5 fave HW albums probably are:  In Search of
Space, Space Ritual, Hall of the Mountain Grill, Warrior on the Edge of
Time, and Hawkwind.
        Although you didn't ask, my fave 5 relations albums are:  Michael
Moorcock's Deep Fix, _New World's Fair_, Robert Calvert, _Captian
Lochheed and the Starfighters_, Nik Turner, _Past or Future?_, Amon Duul
2, _Yeti_, Simon House, _Trip to G9_.

Ian Fines
IanFines at juno.com
NeW Homepage, complete with pix w/o permission!
http://members.wbs.net/homepages/b/l/o/bloomdidobaddegrasse.html