HW: obObservation Colour=Noize

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Thu Jun 19 18:11:43 EDT 1997

----------
From:   Mark Edmonds[SMTP:mmje at MMJE.DEMON.CO.UK]
Sent:   Thursday, June 19, 1997 8:34 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list BOC-L
Subject:        Re: HW: obObservation

In article <B0000004664 at maxwell.pcmicro.com.au>, Sonique
<sonique at MAIL.PCMICRO.COM.AU> writes
>On 19 Jun 97 at 12:17, Andrew Gilham wrote:
>
>> But no, I don't like it as much as "Silver Machine" era HW!  Mind, I haven't
>played
>> it for ages - have to give that blue vinyl a spin I guess :)
>
>Bastard! I only have the black (Bronze) vinyl ...

This means you are probably better off soniquelly! I have both black and
blue versions and the surface noise on the blue version is noticably
louder. I think the same "more colour, more noise" rule also applies
for picture discs.

Mark

The black LP's are the most quiet, as far as surface noise is concerned (all other things
being equal; I have some RCA LP's that have horrible surface noise. These are the ones
that are about half the thickness of regular LP's; they warp real easy, too...) If I remember
correctly, the finer the lampblack that they use in the production, the quieter the surface.
It also helps to use virgin vinyl, too (back in the '70's, when petroleum prices went sky high,
the record companies ground up unsold LP's, labels 'n all, to use for new releases. Can you say
"sandpaper"???

Coloured/picture LP's are good for one thing and that is display purposes only. Probably the noisiest
LP that I have is the first Devo on "marble" vinyl; cool to look at, anyway. All of my picture/coloured  LP's are
duplicated with boring ol' black ones that I play (or I used to, anyways...) Consider that the picture LP's have a
hunk of cardboard sandwiched between two slabs of vinyl that are fused together and you can see what a
sonic nightmare that marketing tool is! In the case of LP's, black is truly (sonically) beautiful!

I had a lot of fun trying to get my clear Synergy LP's to play on my Sony turntable; y'see, it uses a light
source and photocells to determine the size 'n speed of the record being played and with a clear record,
well... I could manually override the player to get it to work, but some days it just had a mind of it's own.

I like CD's....

obCDPlayer: VA / The Truth Is Twisted (e-music inspired by the X-files. Cool!)

Craig Shipley
craigs at pyramid.com