HW: Black Sword

Tony A. Rowe HawkLord at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 19 20:42:39 EDT 1997

><< t's tough to be a young Hawkfan in the US, ain't it? You kinda feel like
> you're alone and cold on the edge of time...

And we're tired... we're so tired...

>  I was also a big
> > fan of Motorhead and watched an interview with him in which he was handed
>a bag of goodies and asked to comment on each item in the bag.  One of the
> > items was a Michael Moorcock novel (to which he stated something to the
> > effect of "a great author... but a pity about the last name.")
>
> "Michael More Plots. Yes, Michael Moorcock, most unfortunate name, but we
> won't go into that on family television now, will we?"

"He's a very good author, actually.  He used to come on stage with us when I
was with Hawkwind and read poetry that you could't hear 'cause he was so
nervous he read it too fast and he would sound like 'Libidi libidi libidu
libilibidu' like that, but people said 'Wow, he's cosmic.'"

And what did Lemmy say when he pulled a Hawkwind album out of the bag?

"Hawkwind.  This is a band I used to be with back in um... before you were
born.  And you can't read it [the album cover] actually because it's soooo
psychedelic.  Y'see that?

"There's only two tracks on this that I was on... it's uh... Kings of Speed,
which was the last track that I ever recorded with Hawkwind, and Night of the
Hawks which I came back for... because they asked me to... because they
thought it would make them more money... but it failed miserably.

"Not really worth the money.  My advice is to steal it [the album] if at all
possible."

I never could figure out which album that is that Lemmy is holding.  I
couldn't read the title (because it is sooo psychedelic).

> Moorcock indirectly got me into BOC, via Black Blade. I had read the Elric
> series and was a big fan. At first I thought BOC just wrote a tune about
> Elric, then realized MM had actually collaborated with them...then heard he
> collaborated w/HW...finally realized he was actually a member with
> HW...that was the evolution of my realization of MM's involvement w/rock
> music...

> >As I have said before and will say again, it can be such a
> >pain to
> > find Hawkwind in the U.S.!!
> Amen, Tony! Such frustration. Gotta move up to Frisco, someone here said
> that's a good place to find Space Rock in the Western Hemisphere.

Actually, a good friend of mine told me of a trip he took to some huge record
store near Berkley (sp?).  He checked out the huge Hawkwind CD selection
there and saw that someone had written on the Hawkwind CD divider something
to the effect:

"Hawkwind, the greatest Space Rock band ever.  Do yourself a favor and pick
up a copy of every one of these CDs today."

That wouldn't have been you, would it?

> A less descriminating Hawkfan, Charlie >>

Less discriminating?  You lost me on that one...

Tony