cotbs

Andrew Gilham Andy.Gilham at BTINTERNET.COM
Fri Jun 20 08:52:34 EDT 1997

>        My bet is that it's the runestaff that is the sword -

At the end of "Quest for Tanelorn", you have the sword destroying the
balance, and then the staff smashing the jewel...  Wasn't it "Phoenix in
Obsidian" where you also have the chalice, so you get some really dozy
symbolism with the sword and the cup, yadda yadda, anyway, what this makes
me think of is the suits in a deck of cards ('specially the tarot),
swords/spades, cups/hearts, staffs/clubs, coins/diamonds...  Where this is
going I don't know, unless he's consicously, or maybe unconsciously, using
archetypal symbols...  Anyway, the Captain says to "Stormbringer" (for want
of a better name), "You can only inhabit (or be inhabited by) one of the
two manifestations, the sword or the jewel" (yes, he does speak in
parentheses) - so whether that makes them the same or different is up to
you! :)

- Andy