HW: obObservation Colour=Noize

Sonique sonique at MAIL.PCMICRO.COM.AU
Fri Jun 20 09:28:20 EDT 1997

On 19 Jun 97 at 18:11, Craig Shipley wrote:

Andy:
> >> it for ages - have to give that blue vinyl a spin I guess :)

Me:
> >Bastard! I only have the black (Bronze) vinyl ...

Mark:
> This means you are probably better off soniquelly! I have both black and
> blue versions and the surface noise on the blue version is noticably
> louder. I think the same "more colour, more noise" rule also applies
> for picture discs.

Craig:
> Coloured/picture LP's are good for one thing and that is display purposes only. Probably the noisiest
> LP that I have is the first Devo on "marble" vinyl; cool to look at, anyway. All of my picture/coloured  LP's are
> duplicated with boring ol' black ones that I play (or I used to, anyways...) Consider that the picture LP's have a
> hunk of cardboard sandwiched between two slabs of vinyl that are fused together and you can see what a
> sonic nightmare that marketing tool is! In the case of LP's, black is truly (sonically) beautiful!

Strangely enough, back when I bought Eloy's _Planets_ and _Time to Turn_ in
*clear* vinyl, I expected them to be awful in this respect. I can safely say
that the quality of recording on these albums is still better than any of the
other reocrds in my collection (and they've had quite a few spins in
their 13-odd years). These too were (from memory) digitally mastered.
Perhaps no colour at all is the go?

And when I paid double the normal price for a Jap pressing of PF's "Dance
Songs" because I thought the thick vinyl would outlast the normal release, I
found within a very short period that this wasn't the case. That album
probably has more pops and crackles than anything else I've bought (except
perhaps my Meco's _Encounters of the third kind_ ... the kids *wisely* use
that as a frisbee ;^)

Sonique

--
Paul Ward        aka: Assassin Sonique'   .---.  __  .--------   Long