HW: Black Sword

Mark Edmonds mmje at MMJE.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Jun 20 09:15:21 EDT 1997

In article <9706201235.aa14842 at uk.ac.ed.tattoo>, M Holmes
<fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK> writes

Sorry, got a minor correction here:

>Nuclear Drive  (Music pretty much as per Nuclear Toy)
>=============
>
>Before I had time to think about it
>And right before my eyes
>The machine had landed and the door was open wide
>I stepped inside the spaceship, a voice said
>"Take a seat man, do you want to cruise the Universe

The voice actually said "Good evening", not "Take a seat man".

I would actually strongly disagree about the music being similar to
Nuclear Toy. Nuclear Drive is a one chord wonder, it is basically the
same chord bouncing along with the guitar playing a syncopated mini-riff
on top. Nuclear Toy on the other hand is the standard Hawkwind 2-chord
shifter used in countless songs. If you want to classify the Hawkwind
riffs, you can group some of them as follows:

One-chord bouncer:

Nuclear Drive
Earthed to the Ground

Two-chord shifter:

Spirit of the Age
Motorway City
Nuclear Toy
Steppenwolf
The Island
Heads (sort of)
Uncle Sams on Mars

The Magnu Riff

Magnu
Streets of Fear
Freefall (heavy middle section)
Flying Doctor

I always think its pretty amazing that Hawkwind got so many different
songs out of essentially the same chord sequences or riff styles.

Mark