cotbs (How about OFF)

Troy Harris fiskare at WEBCONCEPT.COM.AU
Fri Jun 20 21:44:26 EDT 1997

At 02:49 PM 20/06/97 -0400, Ron Jennings wrote:

  How qbout changing the header of this thread to OFF: Black sword  or whatever.
 I am getting sick of thinking this has something to do with the album by HW.

>> >it was more like granbreton, tho that still may not be right. but-
>> >gran=great, breton=britain. guess that was mm's lil joke.
>>
>> Most of the locations in the Hawkmoon stories are real, e.g. Kamarg = the
>> Camargue in the south of France, Kanbery = Canterbury.  I've seen a map,
>> can't remember where, maybe in one of the new Millennium omnibuses?,
>which
>> makes it all totally explicit even if European geography is unfamiliar,
>but
>> anyway, it was deliberate making the British the villains, just to give
>it
>> a twist for his (at the time) mostly British readership.  ('Course, that
>> was before every Hollywood film made the British the bad guys :)
>
>thats what i meant.. i was aware of the similarities... dorian being from
>Koln and all that, plus the pirates in america. the joke i meant was, as
>you stated, making the brits the badguys.
>
>> There are some typical MM jokes too, the one I recall is "Aral Vilsn",
>some
>> sort of legendary hero, which is of course Harold Wilson, then prime
>> minister.
>>
>> >agreed. maybe mm made this deliberately confusing?
>>
>> I'd be more inclined to guess he was making it up as he went along, and
>> only tried to impose that sort of structure later on?
>>

>that is of course, extremely possible.
>rj

        Troy Harris

        PO Box 18  Mornington, Victoria, Australia , 3931

        +61-3-5975-0706

        fiskare at webconcept.com.au
        tlh at rubens.its.unimelb.edu.au