Off: T2/Boomland...Memories of youth

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Mon Jun 23 02:11:49 EDT 1997

Way, way back, on  Wed, 7 May

Dane Carlson had the following as his sig:

>>  NP:  It Will All Work Out in Boomland - T2

I was amazed.  This makes 3 copies of this album that I know to exist in
the wild *g*.  This has got to be a candidate for the worst and most
amateurish sleeve design ever released, definitely not doing justice to the
glorious music inside.

T2 were the first band I ever saw (Burton Upon Trent Technical College
S.U.) back in Autumn 1970, aged 14.  I was stunned by the volume, the
crowd... everything.  My crowd had all seen them on "Disco 2" (predecessor
to "The Old Grey Whistle Test") and couldn't believe our luck at them
coming to play in Burton. (pop. 50,000 & half a dozen breweries).

The following weekend one of the guys ordered the album from the local
branch of Boots.  I never saw the album in a shop myself, and never owned
it until I stumbled across a fairly scabby second-hand copy in the local
comic shop some time in the mid to late '80s.  Needless to say I bought it
(a quid, I think) and it was as good as I remembered.

Does anyone else on the list remember them (or even own the album)?  Does
anyone know what happened to them?  Keith Cross (gtr) left because he was
pissed off with being tagged as the next big guitar hero ( the whole "new
Clapton" schtick was getting thrown at any talented young guitar player
back then), recorded an album of softer rock with a guy called Peter Ross
(Bored Civilians?) and eventually disappeared from view.  Pete Dunton (dms)
& Bernard Jinks (bs) soldiered on for a while with another guitarist
(first name Will?) and then faded away too.

This also prompted me to thinking about age (aaaagh, gasp, choke).  There
was some talk about the youngest members of the list a little while back,
but what about the other end of the spectrum.   I just hit 41, and I figure
quite a few of you are in the same territory and I'm curious about the
general distribution (both sides of the list).

ChrisW

"No more white horses for you to ride away,
 No more white horses, so you must stay
 Where you are...." - T2