HW: obObservation

Jon Jarrett jaj20 at HERMES.CAM.AC.UK
Mon Jun 23 06:58:44 EDT 1997

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, J Strobridge wrote:

> Interesting - there does seem to be some kind of consensus emerging from
> all these posts {worrying!}.   It would appear that people's favourite
> Hawkwind album tends to be the one that first got them interested in the
> band - not necessarily the first one they listened to but the one that
> first got them involved in the Hawkwind sound.    Everything after that
> tends to get rated in relation to that one.

        Well, I'd agree for definite with the first bit - my first HW was
the Elite compilation, `Spirit of the Age', and it's got most of
`Levitation' and about a third of `Live '79' on it... and do I regularly
stand up for `Levitation' as not being as bad as people often say? I do. I
still like the stuff on it too.
        On the other hand, the _next_ HW that made its way into my tape
deck was a tape of `Space Ritual' that Carl made for me (ObPleaOfDefence:
I do now own the remaster!), and I think it's still that one rather than
`Levitation' I use as the benchmark. But the `Live '79' version of
`Brainstorm' and `Levitation' itself sort of introduced me to the whole
idea of trance-rock or whatever you want to call that blanga-that-isn't-
blanga that inhabits those two albums.
        Two penn'orth, anyway... if not a bit more, yours,
                                                           Jazza

 |         Jon Jarrett, Pembroke College, Cambridge                     |
 |         (01223 327450)                 jaj20 at hermes.cam.ac.uk        |
 |"Find the microwave and you shall find the bison!" Clare Boothby(1997)|