HW: Hawkwind covers of other artists

Stephen Lindsey stephen at SPATIALWARE.COM
Tue Jun 24 14:09:57 EDT 1997

Well maybe we'll get somewhere on this Bring It On Home mystery after all.....

reviewing the story so far:

> > I remember once coming up with the astonishing revelation that the
> > version of "Bring It On Home" which appears on
> > the Hawkwind Anthology is different than the version (credited to
> > the Dharma Blues Band) which appears on the "White Boy Blues"
> > anthology
> > - Volume 2 I think

> > so either there are 2 version by the Dharma Blues band (probably),
> > or just maybe one is some lineup that might have been Hawkwind
> > (doubtful).
> >
> According to HawkFan no. 10 There was a John Peel recording session
> early 1969, which included "Bring it on Home" (that session would make
> for a great release!!!). The original version was apparantly recorded at
> the Royal Albert Hall in 1968, and released on "The Buskers", which was
> the recording of that event.

Well not having the Buskers album, I was waiting to see who did,
Jill to the rescue:

>BTW - Brock's is about the only decent track on it - the rest are  -
>well -  maybe not quite of the highest quality....  8-)

Now, my guess is that this is a solo version (given the albums called the
Buskers) rather than the Dharma Blues Band.  This would then make it the
third known version with Mr Brock on it (both of the other versions are
definitely "band" versions, its just not clear who the "band" is on at least
one of the versions (the version on the Hawkwind Collection).

Does anyone have the 69 Peel session to compare against the Collection version ?
This would confirm the existance of a version by a lineup called "Hawkwind"
as distinct from the Dharma Blues Band and the (presumed)  Brock solo version.

Fascinating stuff eh !! Bet Dave can't remember !!

Steve L.