Off: T2/Boomland...Memories of youth

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Tue Jun 24 19:40:32 EDT 1997

I was once again on my high horse :-{)>

>>Somebody got in before me in upbraiding JonB over his
>>"jazz duffer" comment, but I always found the (modern/avant-garde) jazz
>>world refreshingly free of age/class/style boundaries!
>>
>>ChrisW
>
>I should have been clearer. jazz is cool. Of course.  I dig Bird
>Coltrane, Mingus and I really like Armstrong (even after he sold out)
>I'm also well up for future jazz like Tortoise and Sven Van Hees
>hell, even drum 'n' bass pioneers like Photek and Bukem consider
>themselves jazzmen. My idea of a jazz duffer is someone who never
>accepted rock/pop in any form, to whom anything from Chuck Berry onwards
>doesn't count, isn't music *at all*. How I expected you to discern that
>from one dismissive comment, I don't know. D'oh!
>
>the emphasis was on the duffer.

And my reaction was based on the effect that the "J" word has on people -
for some it conjures up images of snoozeworthy lounge pianists in hotel
cocktail bars, for others it just means bad "trad" bands in local pub rooms
and I'm so used to trying to put over the point that it's a living,
breathing, exciting and even scary (e.g. Last Exit) music.

>I, incidentally, am the psychedelic music duffer round my way. I find it
>pretty amazing that people don't want to know which 60's garage band
>Beck swiped Devil's Haircut from. but every time I say something like
>"well, of course, the original by '60's Texan punk band the Little Boys
>Blue was much better" people'e eyes just glaze over....

I have similar problems myself.  My head is full to bursting with all kinds
of musical trivia, and sometimes it just sort of pukes out all over anyone
who's in earshot *g*

BTW Sorry I haven't made it over to Richmond yet - family schedules & all
that.....

ChrisW

ObColtraneReissue: Sun Ship