HW: Video embarrassment

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Tue Jun 24 21:59:37 EDT 1997

Der Swann-meister sagt:

langner timothy writes:

> As for live cronicals. there are better live albums! Dare I say it. The videos
> good because it includes the actions and that's well done so add to it but as
> the for the soudn of the live alubm. I don't like it.

I hate to say it, but after seeing the _Chronicle of the Black Sword_
video, I gained a new insight into Andy Gilham's distaste for that
era of Hawkwind.  It was almost Spinal-Tap-level embarrassing.

I'm really glad that I listened to the album years before seeing
the video, or it might have robbed me of much of my enjoyment of
the music...

Steve

This is one of the main reasons that I avoid videos and MTV in general. I like to
mentally interpret the music and my mental images of the music are not what the
producers of the music videos conceive. And after viewing the video, I find it hard to
separate the video from the music. Sometimes the video is better than my own version
(i.e. Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing") but usually not. For what its worth...

(welcome back, Steve!)

obVisual along with obCDPlayer: my two-month old daughter "spitting up" during the playing
of: Mike Oldfield / Tubular Bells 2 (really!). Wasn't green...

Craig Shipley
craigs at pyramid.com