OFF:"no, no they're great LP's"

Mark Edmonds mmje at MMJE.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Jun 27 07:41:02 EDT 1997

re: The Gong album debate

In a dim distant universe, I used to own probably about 90% of the Gong
LPs (there was an Allen solo album done on a 4-track which I didn't get
- which was that?) and really enjoyed them. They opened up a whole new
musical sphere to me and Hillage heavily influenced my guitar playing.
However, something went seriously wrong (probably my introduction to
Zappa) and almost overnight, Gong seemed purile and I just couldn't take
all that flying teapot pixie stuff. No matter how good the music, I was
whincing so much at the vocals that I could no longer enjoy it. The
fusion albums just struck me as being competant but nothing special and
one of them was definitely difficult listening. My Gong collection got
sold off and I never hanker for the sound. This ramble is merely
intended as a warning to those starting off in Gong - you may find the
longevity lacking. On the other hand, enjoy it to the full, start making
those pixie whooping sounds, chime those tibetan bells and get
practising that syncopated wah-wah pedal echoed guitar riff! Oh, and if
you're sharing digs, NEVER leave your teapot in the kitchen 'cos one day
you'll find it full of mushrooms.