HW: Lighthouse is STOOPID

Jon Jarrett jaj20 at HERMES.CAM.AC.UK
Fri Jun 27 20:24:38 EDT 1997

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Sonique wrote:

> On 25 Jun 97 at 10:19, John Majka wrote:
>
> > At 08:40 AM 6/23/97 +0100, you wrote:
> > >No, Sorry,
> > >
> > >The Lyrics to Lighthouse are utter unmitigated toss.
> > >
> > >'light the lasers in your heaaaaaart'   What is that??
> >
> > yes, I've always hated the STOOPID lyrics to Lighthouse (which are sort of
> > typical of that 70's prog "I'm so deep" lyrical movement which usually only
> > produced the dumbest crap).  The music kind of sucks too.
>
> Am I the only one who actually likes this track? Jill & Marty have defended
> it well ... but it's also damn good!

        I'll side with Paul on this one - the lyrics are indeed hippy to
the point of saccharin poisoning but Tim Blake can't half play synths.
Shapes up quite well with the rest of the band too, although in the same
way as you can't really call `Motorhead' a Hawkwind track because it's so
pervasively Lemmy I'm not sure I'd really call this one either - but then
I've argued the same thing about Levitation once or twice, and also the
reverse, that it's tracks like these that show how Hawkwind has been
flexible enough to survive as long as it has. £0.02.. Jazza

 |         Jon Jarrett, Pembroke College, Cambridge                     |
 |         (01223 327450)                 jaj20 at hermes.cam.ac.uk        |
 |"Find the microwave and you shall find the bison!" Clare Boothby(1997)|