BOC: Extraterrestrial Live

Alex S. Garcia asg at IMAGINET.FR
Fri Jun 27 21:12:30 EDT 1997

Remember who ? BOC ? Never heard of 'em. Someone I should know ? ;-)

Seriously, though, I just got back from a 2 weeks trip to Wisconsin. While I
was there, I finally found a copy of ETL. I have all the BOC studio albums,
the 3 lives being the only BOC albums I still missed. One down, two to go *grin*

Anyway, I wanted to comment a little on this album. Especially on three
tracks, the three which stuck out the most, for one reason or another.

First, "Dr. Music". I already mentioned before that I didn't like this song.
Well... I do now. Or rather, I like THIS version. I was impressed. It sounds
much more convincing live, heavier, more... uh... BOC-ish ?

Then "Roadhouse Blues". Cooooooooooooooool ;-)) This song is one of the
reasons why I wanted to buy the album. It's not on any other, and also I was
curious of hearing BOC singing the blues ! *grin* And it was well worth
hearing. I just absolutely love this song.

Finally, "Veteran of the psychic wars". One of my all-time favorite BOC
tune. This time it was the other way around. I was first disappointed. I
mean the music was fine, and then suddenly the singing began. I even wonder
if it's the same singer as on the studio version (whoever is it on the
studio version anyway ? Eric ?). It just didn't sound as good for some
reason. As if the singer wasn't having fun and just singing along or
something. Weird. OTOH, I absolutely loved (and still love) the long
instrumental insert towards the end, with all the guitar solos and stuff.
Really cool. And, oddly enough, the singing doesn't bother me as much after
a few listens. I still like the original singing better, though...

Well, that's it, folks...

Alex S. Garcia.

Become a Patternwalker ! Visit Corwin's Pattern...
  http://members.tripod.com/~Mandor/
Read the Icarus Encyclopedia of Fantasy & SF
  http://www.pelnet.com/icarus/