BOC: Extraterrestrial Live

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Sat Jun 28 01:06:11 EDT 1997

>Remember who ? BOC ? Never heard of 'em. Someone I should know ? ;-)

>Finally, "Veteran of the psychic wars". One of my all-time favorite BOC
>tune. This time it was the other way around. I was first disappointed. I
>mean the music was fine, and then suddenly the singing began. I even wonder
>if it's the same singer as on the studio version (whoever is it on the
>studio version anyway ? Eric ?). It just didn't sound as good for some
>reason. As if the singer wasn't having fun and just singing along or
>something. Weird. OTOH, I absolutely loved (and still love) the long
>instrumental insert towards the end, with all the guitar solos and stuff.
>Really cool. And, oddly enough, the singing doesn't bother me as much after
>a few listens. I still like the original singing better, though...

Actually, I much prefer the ETL vocals for VotPW.  It sounds weary,
tired, drained.  I think this fits perfectly with the theme of
the song, whether intentional or not.  If he was getting rather
weary of being on tour, and thought it was just going on and on
with no end, etc, well... that's appropriate for the song.  I find
it one of Eric's best vocals.

Eric sings both, BTW.

Roger Shrubstaff                   ==   To dwell within Samsara, however
Barony of Silverwater                =   is to be subject to the works of those
http://www.magg.net/~mordru/silver.htm=   who are mighty among dreamers.
(Andrew A. Apold)                   ==    - Mahasamatman