BOC: Extraterrestrial Live

Peter Sondergeld p.sondergeld at QUT.EDU.AU
Mon Jun 30 03:35:42 EDT 1997

At 01:06 AM 28/06/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>Remember who ? BOC ? Never heard of 'em. Someone I should know ? ;-)
>
>>Finally, "Veteran of the psychic wars". One of my all-time favorite BOC
>>tune. This time it was the other way around. I was first disappointed. I
>>mean the music was fine, and then suddenly the singing began. I even wonder
>>if it's the same singer as on the studio version (whoever is it on the
>>studio version anyway ? Eric ?). It just didn't sound as good for some
>>reason. As if the singer wasn't having fun and just singing along or
>>something. Weird. OTOH, I absolutely loved (and still love) the long
>>instrumental insert towards the end, with all the guitar solos and stuff.
>>Really cool. And, oddly enough, the singing doesn't bother me as much after
>>a few listens. I still like the original singing better, though...
>
>Actually, I much prefer the ETL vocals for VotPW.  It sounds weary,
>tired, drained.  I think this fits perfectly with the theme of
>the song, whether intentional or not.  If he was getting rather
>weary of being on tour, and thought it was just going on and on
>with no end, etc, well... that's appropriate for the song.  I find
>it one of Eric's best vocals.
>
>Eric sings both, BTW.
>
>===================================
>Roger Shrubstaff                   ==   To dwell within Samsara, however
>Barony of Silverwater                =   is to be subject to the works of those
>http://www.magg.net/~mordru/silver.htm=   who are mighty among dreamers.
>(Andrew A. Apold)                   ==    - Mahasamatman
>====================================

We don't mention this album much, do we?
When I first bought it I was quite disappointed. In fact, I thought it was a
very ordinary piece of work. Didn't play it for years. Then I picked it up
again about 2 years ago (I guess) and discovered how GOOD some versions
really were, especially VotPW, ETI (though I'd probably like any version of
this one) and Reaper - I even started thinking more kindly about Dr. Music.
Anyway, now I say that this VotPW is one of the highlights of all BOC music.
As Andew said, the vocals set the mood, and Buck's soloing, well, it never
fails to send a shiver down my spine. And perhaps because it's a live
recording, I like the sense of "space" I get, as in open landscape or wasteland.

Pete.

ObCD: Argus - Wishbone Ash

Peter Sondergeld
p.sondergeld at qut.edu.au

"I'm no stranger to hard work - more of a nodding acquaintance"   - D.G. Harris