BOC: Extraterrestrial Live

Mon Jun 30 08:59:29 EDT 1997

I think ETL suffered a somewhat bad rap because people were getting a bit
tired of BOC live albums by that point - it was early in the game compared
to the kind of complaining that happens now, but the "We don't need another
version of "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" mentality was probably started by the
release of this album.  Not only that, but 3 of the songs on ETL were just
released on *Fire of Unknown Origin*.  Several other of the tracks were
on other live albums.  So, despite what I think is an album that captured
BOC's sound at that point, it's kinda unnecessary on a lot of fronts.  Oh,
and one other thing - this album was of course released after Albert had
left the band, yet 2 of the tracks feature Albert's drumming, and Albert
is included in the album's artwork (actually, it kinda looks like Rick
Downey may have been drawn in later - i.e., the artist had done the picture
with the original 5, but had to add Rick after Albert had left).  And
speaking of Rick, I know Bolle (as a drummer) did not like the editing
job that was done on Rick's drum fills on "Cities on Flame"

>Then "Roadhouse Blues". Cooooooooooooooool ;-)) This song is one of the
reasons why I wanted to buy the album. It's not on any other, and also I was
curious of hearing BOC singing the blues ! *grin* And it was well worth
hearing. I just absolutely love this song.

This track is probably the main reason to have this album, and it shows
very well why BOC is not only a great band for their own music, but can
play some smokin' cover tunes as well.

John