BOC: Extraterrestrial Live

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Mon Jun 30 09:17:21 EDT 1997

> I think ETL suffered a somewhat bad rap because people were getting a bit
> tired of BOC live albums by that point - it was early in the game compared
> to the kind of complaining that happens now, but the "We don't need another
> version of "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" mentality was probably started by the
> release of this album.  Not only that, but 3 of the songs on ETL were just
> released on *Fire of Unknown Origin*.  Several other of the tracks were

And another problem with ETL was that the band could have used it to
truly correct the 'sins of ommission and commission' and dug up some
great live songs that hadn't made it to a live recording yet, cf
'Flaming Telepaths,' 'Stairway,' and a proper 'Buck's Boogie' come to
mind.  All great songs that BOC kicked ass on live but were never
issued on a live recording.  Were BOC reluctant to release more old
stuff that featured Al since they unceremoniously booted him from the
band?  If so, why include 2 tracks that he played on?  Sort of unfair
to Rick, in a way...

> >Then "Roadhouse Blues". Cooooooooooooooool ;-)) This song is one of the
> reasons why I wanted to buy the album. It's not on any other, and also I was
> curious of hearing BOC singing the blues ! *grin* And it was well worth
> hearing. I just absolutely love this song.
>
> This track is probably the main reason to have this album, and it shows
> very well why BOC is not only a great band for their own music, but can
> play some smokin' cover tunes as well.
>
> John

As much as I dig both Robbie and Buck's playing, I can't tell who is
doing what.  Anyone know which speaker is Buck and which is Robbie?
I agree that Roadhouse Blues [BTW, the registered name of one of my
dogs!] is a treat.  Cool to see BOC jamming with a guy who helped
pave the way for their kind of music...
theo