Buck Dharma Chat Log part 1

Gary Davis artshop at ARTIST-SHOP.COM
Mon Jun 30 10:43:24 EDT 1997

Hello Friends:

A couple months ago The Artist Shop had an IRC Chat with Buck Dharma.  Since
I finally got around to editing the chat log, I thought I'd share this with
the rest of you.  Buck was communicating with us from Alaska at the time and
after the chat had to high tail it off to soundcheck.  Although Buck was
apologetic about his typing skills, I found him to be pretty quick and
accurate in that area.  Enjoy!

<GaryD> Hi, folks, sorry to zap you with the moderation, but things are
ready to get underway.
<Agent> I'm Ready!
<GaryD> I first want to point out Agent who is my assistant tonight.  If you
want to ask a question of Buck, just shoot it to Agent in a private message.
If this is your first time on IRC, just double click on Agent to send him a
private message.  You are in an Artist Shop IRC Chat.  Tonight our guest is
Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult.  Unfortunately Buck is IRC Challenged being
on AOHell, but, the good news is that I am both in this chat room and on AOL
simultaneously communicating with Buck.  So, I will furiously be pasting
your questions to him and his answers back to the room.
<Agent> Gary, are we ready to get questions?
<GaryD> First, we'll start with a general greeting from Buck.
<Buck Dharma> Hi everybody, I'm Buck Dharma. I've been the lead guitar
player for the Blue Oyster Cult since its formation, and I play much better
than I type.. : )
<GaryD> OK, Agent, ready for the questions.
<Agent> Shoot questions to me, folks!  FROM T0RG0: Buck, I missed your last
trip through Upstate NY, when are you coming back up?
<GaryD> While Buck is formulating his answer, I should mention that BOC is
touring right now.  Buck is responding to us from Alaska where BOC is
performing tonight.
<Buck Dharma> TORGO, We are scheduled to make at least a stop at Darien Lake
east of Buffalo in June. Stay tuned for updates..
<Agent> FROM Simorgh: Buck, do you use a capo on Reaper on Some Enchant eve....?
<Buck Dharma>   >Capo on Reaper-- no, I used a custom made SG style guitar
that is tuned up a whole step to F# instead of E. I use a capo now so I can
use the trem bar as a tremolo instead of a transposing device.  I'm
currently playing a Steinberger GM7
<Agent> FROM RichZoll: whats the biggest crowd you ever headlined for?
<Buck Dharma>   >Biggest Crowd-- in early '80's headlining the ballpark in
San Diego, w/ZZ and Cheap Trick
<Agent> ROM GraffiX: Buck, I am a hobbyist musician and would like to better
my guitar skills .. what type of learning method do you suggest.. I have
tried chord books and suck, but I want to start working on a solo technique..
<Buck Dharma>   >skills- just start picking out melodies on the guitar and
play. Chord books come in handy when you want to play a specific song and
need the chord.  You should be able to communicate feeling and get enjoyment
at any level of skill.  I'm playing a lot of acoustic guitar these days and
really enjoying it. Besides, it's a big help with my electric playing.
<Agent> FROM DarkHeart: Buck Dharma: I'm a HUGE BOC fan, are you guys coming
to San Diego this stop? And for question B, are you ever planning on doing
anymore black and blue shows?
<Buck Dharma>   >B+B- I'd doubt we will tour with Sabbs as a package, that was
definately a one time event. I'm sure we'll get to San Diego again this
year..  BTW, I'm in Anchorage Alaska right now. There's a record holder
stuffed moose in the lobby.
<Agent> FROM RichZoll: everytime i meet you at a show  you seem to remember
me and others. is this possible ,  and when do all fans look the same.?
<Buck Dharma>   It's not so hard to remember faces, Rich, but I can't put an
image to your name now..        teleconferencing's around the corner..
<Agent> FROM ^hdboc^: Does Buck have St. Cecilia ready for Hotlanta? :-)
<Agent> For those of you that don't know, Buck is doing a benefit concert
for a child with a Brain Tumor in Atlanta, April 11
<Buck Dharma>   Jack, a few suprises, you just gave me an idea!
<Agent> FROM ShawnQuinn: Buck - how are the preps going for the Atlanta
Benefit show ?
<Buck Dharma>   hdboc just mentioned a show I'm doing in Altanta on April 11,
a benefit for the 'Zilla Fund for Ricky Browning, a 10 year old fighting a
brain tumor.  Chuck, maybe you can tell the folks the venue, etc.
<Agent> The venue is the Gwinnett Performing Arts Center, in Duluth, GA, a
$30 Million dollar complex, state of the art
<Buck Dharma>   Shawn, working on trio arraigments of some old faves and never
heard stuff. After alaska some intense rehearsal.
<Agent> The show will be recorded and Video'ed for future listening and
visual pleasure

End of Part I

Gary

Check out our Brain Surgeons page at <http://www.artist-shop.com/cellsum>
                              Gary Davis
The Artist Shop                              The Other Road
http://www.artist-shop.com       OtherRoad at aol.com
       SUPPORT THE INDEPENDENT ARTIST!!!