BOC ; ETL and other live recordings.

BREVARD Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Mon Jun 30 10:48:53 EDT 1997

>Seriously, though, I just got back from a 2 weeks trip to Wisconsin. While I
was there, I finally found a copy of ETL. I have all the BOC studio
albums,
the 3 lives being the only BOC albums I still missed. One down, two to
go *grin*

Hmmm, you definitely need to give a listen to On Your Feet or On Your
Knees, by far the best.  SEE, the only reason I have it is the version
of Astronomy which is phenomenal.  ETL always left me a bit flat, I
can't take Eric singing songs that were originally done by Al.  He does
them well enough but not good enough for me.

>First, "Dr. Music". I already mentioned before that I didn't like this song.
Well... I do now. Or rather, I like THIS version. I was impressed. It
sounds
much more convincing live, heavier, more... uh... BOC-ish ?

Never of real fan of either version.

>Then "Roadhouse Blues". Cooooooooooooooool ;-)) This song is one of the
reasons why I wanted to buy the album. It's not on any other, and also I
was
curious of hearing BOC singing the blues ! *grin* And it was well worth
hearing. I just absolutely love this song.

I agree its nice hearing them do something bluesey and they play this
song well enough.  Still I think the list overates this version.  I
prefer Frank Marino's cover from Mahogany Rush, Double Live.  Frank
plays it the way it should be.

>Finally, "Veteran of the psychic wars". One of my all-time favorite BOC
tune. This time it was the other way around. I was first disappointed. I
mean the music was fine, and then suddenly the singing began.

VotPW sounds great in both forms.  Live carries a bit more emotion.  I
also like both the live and studio versions of Joan Crawford.  Overall,
the classic BOC songs seem a bit lackluster while the recent numbers
(Joan, and Vet) sounded much better.

I consider Feet/Knees the best of the three official live releases,
emotion power, imperfections, its all that.  Yet if your willing to
invest is some truly wonderful live BOC, find a dealer who has the
Thing, maybe the last live recording of the original lineup and it just
smokes.  The only live recording I hold in higher regard than
Feet/Knees.

L8er

lil' ab

"I bleed triple ripple vanilla road monkey
I sweat triple ripple vanilla road monkey
I cry triple ripple vanilla road monkey
I everything triple ripple vanilla road monkey." - Uncle Creamy

the list is down to 197, vacations abound.