BOC: Extraterrestrial Live

Mon Jun 30 11:27:44 EDT 1997

>great live songs that hadn't made it to a live recording yet, cf
'Flaming Telepaths,' 'Stairway,' and a proper 'Buck's Boogie' come to
mind.

Good points - There were some live tracks released on other singles (Flaming
Telepaths and Dr. Music from the UK 12" Burnin for You single, and Stairway
to the Stars appeared as a b-side to some other single - memory fails as
to which, but it's in the FAQ).

Although, Buck's Boogie did appear on OYFOOYK...

>Were BOC reluctant to release more old
stuff that featured Al since they unceremoniously booted him from the
band?

I kinda wondered if there was some sort of contractual thing that Al had
to appear on the record or something like that, but I don't know.  Maybe
they just wanted to use Al's name to lend credibility to the record -
something that the record companies seem to be doing a lot lately (putting
Al's picture on BOC compilations when he's been out of the band for over
15 years...)

>As much as I dig both Robbie and Buck's playing, I can't tell who is
doing what.

Well, I can't either, but I do have the video so I should go back and
look sometime.  I think Robbie is the more "mellow" sounding guitar
part - and, if I recall from the video, he did most of the leads on
this track.  Buck seemed to step aside on this one (from the video
anyway) and let Robbie cut loose.

John