BOC: Club Ninja Debate Revisited

Torgo torgo at NORWICH.NET
Sat Mar 1 09:07:38 EST 1997

Good Morning Class.

Once again personal taste in things is laid upon the slab and disected. For
those who are a bit squeamish, please feel free to page down at any time
during the class.

OK, so here we go again on the Club Ninja debate. At this point I wish I
had saved all the posts I sent about Club Ninja the last 2 times it took
place. It would be easier than trying to type all this out again. Let me
start by stating once again for the record: "I don't like every song that
BOC ever did because they are my favorite group. BOC is my favorite group
because I like every song that they ever did." A quick read may cause some
confusion there, please feel free to go back and reread before moving on.

Robert Prince said:
>Club Ninja without Lanier exacerbated the situation and left a hole in the
>fabric of BOC in another area (just listen to those synths!).

Although I like Club Ninja, and like Club Ninja very much, this statement
cannot be argued. Allen is my #1 BOC guy because he adds so much to the
creepy, eerie sound that is BOC at its best. He does it in very subtle ways
though, with a piano diddy here and some froogie synth work there. And that
is not to mention his guitar additions to the overall sound. He gets
overlooked sometimes because he is a background kinda guy, but in my
opinion is one of the biggest reasons I like this band so much. And
although then CN keywork is NOT Allen, I think the ones on "Madness to the
Method" sound pretty cool compared to the rest.

Yet on Club Ninja it is BLATANTLY obvious that this is NOT Allen on the
keys. The keys on this album sound more like later Rainbow or possibly any
other band from THAT whole extended and sometimes dysfunctional family of
Rock.

Yet does it sound like BOC? Well, I think so. The first exposure to CN I
ever had was when I heard "Dancin in the ruins" on the radio. I knew in a
heartbeat it was BOC, and I knew it before I heard Buck's voice. I think
Club Ninja has just as many highs and lows as any other BOC album, its just
that on this album they swing to the extremes more than on others.

Adrian Brevard said:
>My
>first impression of BOC remains amongst my strongest.  Feet/Knees and
>ST, the second album bought.  The rest of the catalog will always pale
>to these two and I accept no arguments.  I wonder how many other fans
>>feel their first BOC album represents the best?

Again, personal taste. Adrian puts Secret Treaties as the best of the
studio BOC albums. Well, ST is a very good album, no doubt about that. But
I still feel that the best of the first "Trilogy" is Tyranny and Mutation.
I just love the *crisp* feel of it all. Where Secret Treaties tone reminds
me of something dark and murky, Tyranny has sound that comes at you
straight from an ice cold stainless steel surgical table under naked light
bulbs.

Again, its just personal taste vs personal taste.

Be Seeing You. ;^)

Torgo has left the Building...........
torgo at norwich.net
"Hey politician, can't believe a word you say
 Almighty media, whose truth d'you sell today?
 Watchdog of justice, who keeps their eye on you?
 Con man, song in hand, who you singin' to?
 The more I get to see, the less I understand
 I'm just another ordinary man....."