BOC-L Digest - 4 Mar 1997 to 5 Mar 1997

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHL.COM
Wed Mar 5 16:34:05 EST 1997

>From:    John A Swartz
>
>lil ab> Historically CN will be looked upon a bit more favorably I believe.
>
>JS>"No, I doubt it.  As it is, I'm not sure BOC, historically, will be even
>looked upon so favorably.  What I mean is this:  in the mid-70's BOC
>was huge - they were in the rock magazines constantly, Buck Dharma was always
>in the top-10 in the guitarist polls, and their laser show was,
>at the time, state of the art and one of the coolest concert experiences
>around.  Or, so I am told - the only band I followed in the mid to late
>70s was KISS (I was a young teenager with little scope in musical taste -
>although I still think KISS is a lot of fun), and had no knowlege of BOC
>until around 1979, about the time I started listening to other bands.
BUT - when I read publications today on the history of rock, BOC is
>hardly, if ever, mentioned.  History may have already forgotten this band.
Sad."

OK Lets agree to disagree.  True they do not now have the noteriety of
say Kiss or Aerosmith when you think of bands from the 70-80's, but
isn't most of that due to the financial sucess of those respective
bands?  Many years from now when rock music has completed another lap
back towards its roots, young muscians might find themselves influenced
by Bucks charasmatic style, Al's sinister yet funny lyrics and Allens
understated keyboard fills.  At some point history goes deeper than the
surface.  How else could Columbus go from hero to ass-hole? By further
examination is how.  Again we disagree and if you are right I'll feel no
shame. I just don't think we will know for another 30 years or so.

>>Interesting that we complain about "stupid" songs on CN like "Rock Not
>War" and "Beat 'em Up", yet many of us want BOC to release a song like
>"Wings of Mercury".  The song kicks, but lyrically, it's probably as
>stupid as some of these others.  Hey, I like the song, but I also like
>"Beat 'em Up" at some level too.  But - if you're going to say that this
>song sucks for it's stupid lyrics, well, then I think had "Wings of
>Mercury" made it to the album, many of us would have been as unkind to
it as we are to "Beat 'em Up"."

Great point.  They may sound stupid to us as we are a little more
serious about BOC than a casual fan.  We can debate this stuff until our
mouths run dry but whats wrong with having a little fun or taking a song
off?  I really like Let Go, I really do.  Does the song say anything
special to me, lyrically or musically?  No.  I just think it would be
fun being in front of the stage while the Oysterboys launched into this
as set closer exhorting the audience to sing along.  So it has nothing
to do with vampires or aliens but I bet it rocks live.  Sometimes a song
>is only a song, why should it be more than that?

lil ab

"Hooked into an IV right to Mr. Spivey
Cosmic Operator standing by"