BOC: John Shirley on SYIB

Thu Mar 6 15:49:14 EST 1997

I sent an email to the John Shirley website to find out about his recording
of "See You in Black", and whether it was related (other than lyrically)
to BOC's version.  John sent me back this response:

"I wrote the song for the BOC originally, sent it to them, never heard
anything for a year, decided they weren't gonna do it, so I wrote a song
around the lyrics and recorded it myself. then they popped up with it after
all! But I liked my version so well I decided to go ahead and release it, and
they can release their version, which sounds totally different and people (if
they care) can have fun contrasting them.

I'm a big BOC fan but - and maybe it's only vanity - I like my version
better.  But I do like what they did with theirs: a kind of Metallica take on
it.  It's cool too. And of course more notice will be paid their version
 because they're an established band and that's fine because they're my
 heroes. It doesn't really matter anyway. We're all cool with it. My  obscure
little cd will never get in the way. I wrote most of the lyrics on the new
BOC album.

John Shirley