Break Up after Secret Treaties ?

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHL.COM
Mon Mar 10 11:42:38 EST 1997

>BOC should really have split up after _Secret Treaties_... :)
>- Andy

Interesting point, a quit while your ahead strategy.  Would be a
different world and certainly a lot of people talking what if about BOC
{now there's a thought 8>) }  Only one problem if they broke up at this
point then there never would have been a Feet/Knees. 8>(

>My first exposure to BOC was OYFOOYK (when it first came out) - I >couldn't
believe the combination of violence & finesse.

>ChrisW

lil ab is smiling at this.

>I didn't like it when it came out, 'cause it couldn't match the
>polish of the studio stuff.  Lately I've really come to appreciate
>it, for the reasons you stated.  Just loose enough.  Too, I saw two
>shows on the tour supporting the album, so it has a little added
>nostalgia for me.  I remember quite well the shows from that era of
>the band, and it was a special time.  They weren't big stars yet, and
>they were putting on a hell of a show in those days:  they were
>really young and full of themselves, and it came across on stage...

>theo

Your never to old to learn.  Our time frames are about the same here
however I loved Feet/Knees the moment it hit the turntable.  This was
the first live album that captured what I had actually witnessed.  Kiss
Alive was pretty close but Feet/Knees, live or Memorex?  BOC had the
lousy PA system and that sound translated to the album just as poorly.
Even though Feet/Knees is a compilation of different shows the sound
quality is remarkably consistent.  Of the live albums (not including
boots) the others pale compared to this.  Sure SEE and ETL sound better
and have good setlists but both fail to capture the essence of a young
BOC taking the metal world by the throat.  I have only heard one live
BOC that tops it, the Thing, but then again I haven't heard all the
boots either, sure there are some other great performances out there.

On the history thing John, I guess what I'm looking for is not
necesarily a revision, they had their time, they just didn't break
through financially like some of their contemporaries.  I would just
like people to look back and wonder what it would have been like to see
a band as great as this, live and in person.  To have some of the things
they have done show up in the music of the next generation.  Hard to
really put into words, but I'm sure years from now their real music will
be considered timeless.

L8er

lil ab

Some interesting releases for this year -

1997   Magellan                       title unavailable
1997   Cairo                          title unavailable
1997   Shadow Gallery                 Tyranny*
14 Feb  Eldritch                        Headquake
17 Feb  Enchant                         Wounded
10 Mar  Threshold                       Extinct Instinct
21 Apr  Stratovarious                   Visions
Apr  Fates Warning                   A pleasant Shade of grey
May  Galactic Cowboys                The Horse that Bud bought

* Debut cd is now available directly through Magna Carta records but
supplies are limited.