Agents of History

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Mon Mar 10 12:26:54 EST 1997

> From:          "BREVARD Adrian R." <ABrevard at SHL.COM>

> Your never to old to learn.  Our time frames are about the same here
> however I loved Feet/Knees the moment it hit the turntable.  This was
> the first live album that captured what I had actually witnessed.  Kiss
> Alive was pretty close but Feet/Knees, live or Memorex?  BOC had the

Kind of apples and oranges, I guess.  The two bands were working
different sides of the street...

> lousy PA system and that sound translated to the album just as poorly.
> Even though Feet/Knees is a compilation of different shows the sound
> quality is remarkably consistent.  Of the live albums (not including
> boots) the others pale compared to this.  Sure SEE and ETL sound better
> and have good setlists but both fail to capture the essence of a young
> BOC taking the metal world by the throat.  I have only heard one live
> BOC that tops it, the Thing, but then again I haven't heard all the
> boots either, sure there are some other great performances out there.

I can understand why the band wasn't wild about releasing SEE:  two
cover tunes, and a couple that had just been on albums.  While I love
the version of DFtR, I could have done with a full-on 2-disc set
myself.  A good record, but somewhat unnecessary.  They would've done
better by putting out a bunch of neglected stuff that didn't make the
first live one, most notedly Stairway...

> On the history thing John, I guess what I'm looking for is not
> necesarily a revision, they had their time, they just didn't break
> through financially like some of their contemporaries.  I would just

But they did!  The band circa Spectres was the biggest thing in rock.
 They had a tiger by the tail but couldn't hang on for the ride.
Mismanagement and internecine squabbling brought about the band's
demise...

> like people to look back and wonder what it would have been like to see
> a band as great as this, live and in person.  To have some of the things
> they have done show up in the music of the next generation.  Hard to
> really put into words, but I'm sure years from now their real music will
> be considered timeless.
>
> L8er
>
> lil ab
Anybody see this month's Guitar World?  The previous issue listed the
100 greatest guitarists all time.  Somebody wrote them a letter
asking how they could leave BD off the list.  And it wasn't a BOC-Ler
either [least I don't think so].  So I guess BOC will have an
historical presence, just maybe not of the magnitude that we all know
they deserve
theo