No subject

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHL.COM
Tue Mar 11 11:17:12 EST 1997

Jason> "For me the tracks from F/K were what made the "career of evil"
compilation amazing (the ear shattering demolition that ME 262 evoked
immediately became the standard of what all shows should sound like when
they end); they roared into my ear and made the 1st live disc my first
boc cd in the early 90's."

Couldn't agree more.  What a sonic attack ME 262 is as represented on
F/K.    I'm on record (or am now) of not liking 7 Screaming Dizbusters,
nothing wrong with the music its just the "flirtation" thing that Eric
does.  Yet on F/K its comparable to ME 262, slams you hard, its
unrelenting.  Whenever I listen to this one I find myself in the pits at
the USAir Arena (fomerly Capital Center) reliving this concert.  This
band visually and sonically was amazing and they didn't need makeup or
pyrotechnics.

Theo>"Kind of apples and oranges, I guess.  The two bands were working
different sides of the street..."

By this are you referring to a style of music?  I saw both these shows
within a few weeks of each other.  BOC show was after Kiss, both were
headliners, but to me there was little comparison; BOC was a much better
band.  There was more emotion in their playing.  Thats the only
comparison I'm trying to make.  Stylistically can you compare Ace to
Buck?  I don't think so.

Theo>"I can understand why the band wasn't wild about releasing SEE:
two
cover tunes, and a couple that had just been on albums.  While I love
the version of DFtR, I could have done with a full-on 2-disc set
myself.  A good record, but somewhat unnecessary.  They would've done
better by putting out a bunch of neglected stuff that didn't make the
first live one, most notedly Stairway..."

Could not agree more, SEE in retrospect was a waste.  DFtR is great and
I love Astronomy, but other than these two tracks there was nothing else
on SEE I liked.  Covers were well played but when you have as much great
material as they had and were playing in those days why put two covers
on a single live album?  I think Columbia was trying to take advantage
of BOC's live personality. They pulled similar gaffes with Mahagony
Rush.  Marino was the same way and he too was with Columbia.  Tales of
the unexpected is half studio and half live and there are plenty of
other live recordings of Frank.  Both BOC and Frank had tremendous
appeal live. Speaking of obvious omissions how  about Flaming Telepaths,
OD On Life Itself and Dominance and Submission to go along with
Stairways.

Theo>"Anybody see this month's Guitar World?  The previous issue listed
the
100 greatest guitarists all time.  Somebody wrote them a letter
asking how they could leave BD off the list.  And it wasn't a BOC-Ler
either [least I don't think so].  So I guess BOC will have an
historical presence, just maybe not of the magnitude that we all know
they deserve"

Again history being unkind to our heros.  A couple of years back some
magazine did a survey of the top 100 metal riffs of all time.  BOC got
one mention for "zilla which was somewhere in the middle of the pack.
Bands like Sab and Kiss had multiple entires on the list.  I think Bad
Company had at least two. Go figure.

Gotta go find the new Threshold.

lil ab