HW-Drummers (Wastelands of

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Wed Mar 12 12:50:52 EST 1997

Dane Carlson writes:

> Having been on a major HW binge of late I find myself noticing the
> weak link in the band. Of all the people through the Airlock of the
> SS HW, they have had some great people, esp. bassists IMO. However I
> notice that the drummers in the band, well (I am no>  musician, so my
> complete lack of skills helps in judging others:) haven't been as lucky.
>
> Favorite drummers: Alan Powell, Richard Chadwick

Yeah - I admit I speak from musical ignorance too but purely from a
listening point of view I must say that for me Richard Chadwick has to
be one of the finest drummers around and I'm surprised he doesn't get
more notice.    His ability to not only vary the drum type and sound but
to seamlessly carry the beat of the track along with the rhythm of the
other instruments without becoming overwhelmingly intrusive is for me
the vital, if not the essential part of the perfect Hawkwind sound.   I
think he's wonderful!

> Least favorite Drummers: Danny Thompson, Martin Griffin

and Ginger Baker 8-(

jill
J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk