BOC - Styles, Covers & 7 Screaming Diz

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHL.COM
Wed Mar 12 09:44:57 EST 1997

>>Maybe you're right... but isn't fun to hear somethingelse sometimes?
>>And the only good place to put a cover (or two) is on a live-album.
>>(But I've got to admit that I'm not THAT fond of SEE myself either.)
>                                -Daniel

Oh no real problem with a band doing a cover, especially a well played
song.  Hopefully its not a complete note for note rendition, some slight
variations that make it a little different.  Dylan's Watchtower comes to
mind.  I love the original, the Hendrix and the Marino version, they all
have subtle differences.  Its just that on SEE, a single live album,
Columbia used two covers at the expense of some great originals the band
was playing in those days.  Maybe no one was happy with all of the
originals but two covers on a single live album?  Just dosen't work

>Ted>"I was thinking both musical complexity and core audience.  Hard to
>make head-to-head comparissons of the musicians, but certainly Ace
>can't compare to BD as a player--and this isn't to put Ace down.
>Certain songs require different guitar treatment.  Pete Townshend
>never was a blazing lead player, but I'd rank him one of the all-time
>greatest rocks gtrsts simply due to his overall contribution to the
>art form.  Even at the time you saw them, it's likely BOC drew an
>older crowd, and there's the crossover of prog-rockers and sci-fi
>fans to BOC that I don't envision drawing such folks to be Kiss fans.
Like they say: 20 million fans can't be wrong!"

Thanks for clearing that up for me.  But this is 1975 we are talking
about and for the most part we all seemed about the same age, high
school and college kids.  Both bands were too young to have the grey
>beard following they have now.
>>
>lil ab> Again history being unkind to our heros.  A

Theo>"Wow!  No mention of CoFWRaR?  If that ain't a riff, I don't know
>what they need!  Granted, Sab is very riff-oriented, and BOC isn't always,
but really!"

As I thumbed through the list I was surprised at some of the things I
saw.  I don't know who compiles these things but I imagine it would have
>been a lot different if regular people voted.
>
>lil ab>.    I'm on record (or am now) of not liking 7 Screaming Dizbusters,
>>nothing wrong with the music its just the "flirtation" thing that Eric
>>does.

Andy>"Not sure I understand you, Adrian - can you be more specific?"

Sure but it may not make sense.  When I was younger I veiwed this song
and the lyrics as glorifying Satan.  I never considered that the whole
thing may be tongue in cheek.  Anyhow, back then,  I wrote this song off
becuase of the lyrics and Eric's mono.  I would certainly crank it when
the lyrics were not clear but I would always move the needle past the
mono.   Musically I like to think I have matured and consider all
aspects of a song, it may be all tongue in cheek, but in that time frame
it offended me. Its like liver, didn't like it as a kid and still don't
like it now.

New Threshold has been pushed back to the end of the month.  8>(.

Anybody hear a rumor that Damn Yankees is reforming with Sammy Haggar on
vocals?

lil ab

obcd - Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime.

****