HW: Tim Blake live in London

Grumpy Old Git M.S.Wright at READING.AC.UK
Fri Mar 14 10:28:22 EST 1997

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Allan T. Grohe, Jr. wrote:

> Well, I hate to sound ignorant and all that, but....
>
> I don't really recall just who Tim Blake was/is--I think he was a
> keyboardist around Levitation?  In any event, I picked up a copy of his
> Video Magic video a few years ago, and wasn't terribly impressed with
> it.  Is this not a good example of his work?  I don't have any other of
> his solo material to compare it to.

Magick is the worst of his proper releases. If you like Lighthouse from
Live 79 then immediately get hold of a copy of Blakes New Jerusalem (which
was available on Mantra Records, 101 Avenue du General Leclerc, 75014
Paris, no. Mantra 068). If you like less vocal synthy stuff (like some
aspects of TD) the immediately rush along and get hold of his other
official release, Crystal Machine (no details to hand). He is completely
brill on those, and it is a pity that I don't like his newer stuff so much
(although Waiting for Nati on Magick is as good as Lighthouse/New
Jerusalem, and coincidently written around the same time).

He was also in Gong for a bit, and I haven't let that put me off going to
see him (which is about as high a recommendation I can give).

Further note for trivia fans, one of the first songs he wrote (poosibly
the first, his microhone technique wasn't very clear) was on the first
evening with gong, when he wrote Song for a New Age, which is surprising
as it only appeared on his second album (in Gong 71-75 ish, under the name
Hi T Moonweed, Crystal Machine 77, NJ 78, Hawkwind 79/80ish, Magick 91,
hmm quite a quiet decade the 80s, I think he was at the Gong reunion gigs
which were two years ago?)

le grand michel w

OBCDBrian Eno Desert Island Selection with Paul Rudolph and Simon King on
some tracks