HW: Tim Blake live in London

Chris Baxley Chris_Baxley at SONYMUSIC.COM
Fri Mar 14 19:45:40 EST 1997

Craig wrote:

>Not to picking the nit, but I think a more accurate term would be Gongs'
>synthesist. I seem to remember that he didn't play a keyboard as much as
>he manipulated the old VCS3 (which didn't need a keyboard for an input
device i.e. the famous Wood Axe controller).

Actually,   I think the synth Blake was using back then was an EMS
Synthi-A,  the briefcase cousin of the VCS3. This can be seen on
the cover of New Jerusalem (the one in the back of the room with colored
knobs), and is the same kind that Del runs his axe through, I think.
I recently acquired one of these after much effort (they're extremely rare)
and it is capable of some truly wild noises.  I think it was a Synthi
that was responsible for a lot of the "whooshing" and "gurgling" noises in
Space Ritual-era HW.  Another example is the airplane noises on
PF's Dark Side of the Moon.

It requires a lot of experimenting however, because every signal has to be
routed by means of a resistor pushpin matrix, which maps
control and signal inputs to outputs. This allows for amazingly complex
signal routings, but makes it not very practical for live situations.
EMS also made a monophonic keyboard to use with it, and I have one of these
but it has never worked, and is in the shop at the moment.

I have a shitload of other psychedelic music toys.  Does anyone want to
move to Oregon to start a Space Rock project?

Chris
chris_baxley at sonymusic.com

obCD - Hair and Skin Trading Co., _Jo in Nine G Hell_        (ex-Loop
members - wicked!)