OFF: boots!

Mon Mar 17 13:30:00 EST 1997

> Re bootleg CDs: there was a wierd article in the local rag "Evening
> News" the other week with dire warnings that Edinburgh was about to
> become the target of a massive influx of bootleg CDs from Europe.
> Hawkwind were NOT one of the bands mentioned in the
> article but some big-name bands like the Beatles and Pink Floyd were
> listed as likely targets and many shops have apparently been fooled into
> thinking that these are genuinely new issues.

     That's what the Beatles get for releasing archival material with
_worse_ sound than it had already had on bootleg releases! ;)  And for
selling their blimmin' albums for outrageous prices ...

> I wonder if there's any way of imprinting a special hologram or some
> other unique marking onto the outside of a CD issue to confirm its
> legitimate production by the appropriate approved company - bit like a
> banknote I guess!

     Perhaps record companies could charge prices which were low enough
that small time (in comparison to record companies) boot-makers couldn't
compete? :)

Cheers,
Carl

Carl Edlund Anderson                            * "Lever vi inte i ett
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                             *  fritt land kanske?"
http://wjh-www.harvard.edu/~canders/hem.html    *
Dept. of Anglo-Saxon, Norse & Celtic, Cambridge *  -- Pippi Langstrump