OFF: boots!

Max Wilcox s333271 at STUDENT.UQ.EDU.AU
Tue Mar 18 09:11:41 EST 1997

While we're on the topic of boots/copying, etc., I thought I'd put my 1
kopeck's worth in...
        Boots. Well, aside from the dodgy Hawk releases (such as "Live and
Rare"), I've never even SEEN a HW Boot in Brisbane. But I've seen and
got many Floyd ones in my time. Most of them are crap, as they sound
exactly the same as every other concert (at least from Momentary Lapse
onwards...), but there are a few notable exceptions: such as before they
released Animals, they had extremely different versions of the album
versions, and thus, make a boot purchase worthwhile.
        An even better example of this is the Syd Barrett "Magnesium Proverbs"
boot, that has much of the unreleased stuff that he did solo and with
Floyd (such as Floyd's early singles). The only way to obtain the
material on that album, without buying a bootleg, was to but a several
hundred $ boxed set that contained a CD of all of the singles. In a case
such as this, I was glad to buy as many Boots of the early stuff as I
could, as EMI was using very dirty marketing methods there.
        Happily, I haven't detected any similar techniques used by the Hawks
(or at least, "official" Hawk releases...), so that's OK...

This was brought to you by the Max Wilcox TV Workshop.
        "Never ever, bloody anything, ever."
                Or, more precisely...
        "Matter? Where's it coming from?"