Retitle - Bootlegs and Tour News

Star Rats Star_Rats at HAWKWIND.COM
Tue Mar 18 12:49:34 EST 1997

At 09:31 18/03/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>From: Star Rats <Star_Rats at HAWKWIND.COM>
>
>>One thing about the Pink Floyd thing, and this is a pretty valid point,
>>is that they actually developed 'Dark Side Of The Moon' on stage as they
>>went along well before the LP saw the light of day. The new material was
>>performed, developed, re-arranged and matured in a live environment which
>>could not be done today because of bootleggers.
>
>Sorry, Star Rats, but that does not make sense.  While it is true that
>nowadays just about every band can expect to have every show bootlegged,
>that does not prevent them from varying their material during the course
>of a tour.
>
>Besides there are lots of bootlegs of early versions of _Dark Side Of The
>Moon_; that's how we know how much it changed before it was recorded.

John,
        You're missing the point here a little. If a band wants to develop new
material on stage and release it as new material they can't because of
bootlegging. I'm not talking about varying the material a band can play on
tour, I'm specifically referring to the development of new material for
commerical release, many bands of which prefer to do live rather than in
the studio.

I also realise there are boots of the 'Eclipse' Rainbow shows and PF learnt
by that, if you read any interviews with the band. The majority of their
studio albums haven't been performed on stage prior to release on the same
level as DSofM.

Yours,
        Star Rats